Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Holiday Help

I love this time of year, particularly Thanksgiving. There's something about the crisp fall in the air, with the hint of winter to come. Getting together with loved ones to have some good food. The feel of Christmas before it gets hectic. The excitement of the beginning of the holidays, with lots of time spent with family. This year, Kris and I decided to try and host Thanksgiving. Sometimes I wonder what we have gotten ourselves into. After all, I think I have only cooked three turkeys in my lifetime. They have gotten better with each turkey. I am of the mind set that if you have a good recipe, anything's possible, even Thanksgiving dinner. That's where I need your help. If anyone has any good recipes, tips or ideas for hosting Thanksgiving dinner, I would appreciate the help. I have a couple of good recipes, that are staples for our Thanksgiving dinner...

Turkey Marinade
*Thaw turkey in fridge for 2-3 days.
*Marinate for 24 hours.
1/3 c. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 c. oil
1 Tbsp. sage
1 Tbsp. rosemary
2 bay leaves (crushed)
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. basil

Mix seasonings together with oil. Rub marinade over turkey once turkey is thawed and cleaned. Place turkey in Reynold's oven bag and put in fridge for 12 hours. Turn to other side for 12 more hours. After marinating for 24 hours, slice 1 cube butter into thin pats and spread all over turkey. Bake in bag (follow directions on bag). Put in 2 Tbsp. flour inside bag before baking. Bake according to Reynold's wrap directions.

Sweet Potato Casserole
3 c. cooked mashed sweet potatoes (or 2 cans of sweet potatoes)
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter or margarine
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. milk
Mix first ingredients with electric beater until well blended. Pour into baking dish.
Topping:
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/3 c. butter
1 c. chopped pecans
Mix topping ingredients together until creamy. Sprinkle over casserole and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

5 comments:

Stacy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacy said...

Oven bags are the only way to go! Your sweet potato casserole recipe is very similar to mine. Use fresh sweet potatoes instead of canned though. They taste 10 times better. I cook them in the microwave, cut them in half lengthwise and scoop them out. It's so much faster and easier than peeling, cutting and boiling. Good luck!

Melissa said...

Thanks you for posting the sweet potato casserole recipe - you know I would have called you again for it this year. Here's my stuffing recipe, apparently stuffing doesn't have to come from a a box!

FERGUSON STUFFING

1 loaf of favorite bread
1-2 tsp. sage
1 cube butter
1 large onion, diced
4-5 stalks celery, diced
1 ¼ c. water
4-5 chicken boullion cubes
Salt and pepper to taste

Slice bread into pieces the night before and add sage, salt and pepper. Leave out to dry overnight. Saute onion and celery in butter. Add water and bouillon to veggies and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add mixture to bread crumbs and mix well. Place in a bread pan lined with foil and cover. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Can uncover the last 15 minutes to make top a little crispy.

Jen said...

Thanks for the tips and recipes, all are appreciated. I have always used canned sweet potatoes, being that I'm lazy, but I think I will try the fresh ones this year, Stacy. Thanks. And Missie, what kind of bread do you recommend for the stuffing? I need all the help I can get! Thanks again!

Melissa said...

I think I used just plain 'ol white bread and it tasted pretty good. I wouldn't go too fancy - just use your favorite white bread.