Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Happy Birthday Zach!





Twelve years ago today, my life changed. Twelve years ago, Kris and I were newlyweds getting ready to start the biggest challenge in our lives up to that point. Our oldest child, Zachary Christian entered the world at 12:03 pm, weighing 8 lbs. 1 oz. Looking back, I was such a young person taking on a very big responsibility. Luckily for us, we were blessed with a very easy going baby. Zach was a beautiful baby, with dimples and blonde hair. Today, is his 12th birthday. Talk about a whirlwind of time gone by! People would always say, "Enjoy them while they are little, because they grow up too fast." I can honestly say, I understand that all now. When they are little, you are going through new challenges that are frustrating, tiring, and exciting. I admit there were times I did not enjoy the Terrible Two's or Three's. I remember a time when Zach took crayons, and proceeded to draw on our white, flat paint hallway, (flat paint, I know! We didn't know any better then, remember we were in our 20's!) and then took them and colored our light tan carpet up and down the hallway as well! I don't know what I was doing at the time, but I remember getting toothpaste and scrubbing the crayon and the paint off the walls. This was just one of many times, Zach got into trouble. Now, I have a very responsible, helpful twelve year old. Some things about Zach: 1) He's a very good student. 2) He's a very good athlete. There's not too many sports that he can't play. 3) He's popular (even with the girls. Every week there is at least one phone call from some 6th grade girl). 4) He loves the color red. 5) He is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. 6) He is a good big brother to all of his siblings. When not with friends, you can find Zach with one of his siblings. Even when he has some friends over, Zach is a good enough brother that he lets Justin and Tyler tag along. 7) He used to be blonde (white). His hair always reminded us of a baby duck. Up until he turned about 7 or 8, then started turning dark. Mom couldn't even find him at one of his basketball games a couple of years ago, because I was looking for a blonde kid, not the dark headed kid! 8) He taught himself to play his electric guitar. 9) He looks out for his younger siblings. 10) He still tells us he loves us (how many more years do I get to enjoy this one?!) 11) He loves to camp and hunt and spend time with his dad. 12) This weekend, he will become a Deacon... I am so proud of him and love him and wish him a very happy birthday. Happy Birthday Son!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh, baby duck hair - I miss it! Happy Birthday Zach! Wish we could be there to enjoy all the cake and icecream, and of course, you.