Friday, June 5, 2009

The End, or Should I Say, The Beginning


Today, my oldest graduated from sixth grade. The school held a graduation wiAdd Imageth caps minus the gowns. As a parent, it is a bitter-sweet moment in time. In just six years, we will be doing this for high school. In just 3 years, he will be driving. Where has the time gone.

There were some differing opinions amongst some of the parents about having them "graduate" from elementary. Some think it should just be a celebration, I say, why not call it a graduation. After all, they have finished the first part in a series of schools. They move on to the next phase of life, one that can be trying and a time for finding out who one is. I hope my son can find his way through this and come out on the other side, emerging as a fine, young man. I have no doubts that he will. I love you Zach and am proud of your accomplishments in life this far! Way to go!
Just a side note, do you know how painful it is for a sixth grade boy to sing a song with the class during elementary graduation? Zach looked like he broke his arm or something. I told him he should have started doing the Napoleon sign language motions during the parts of the song they were supposed to do hand movements!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Yah Zach! Of course it's a graduation, a far more difficult feat than preschool, and they get a graduation. You're kinda scaring me with the whole 3 year, 6 year thing. Let's just take it one year at a time.

Stacy said...

Congratulations Zach! There should be a graduation. It is a milestone ending the elementary years. It lets the kids know that it is an accomplishment and gives them closure.